Tuesday, March 17, 2009

PLAY BALL!


It's an exciting time in baseball right now. For me anyway. Korea is looking good in the World Baseball Classic, and since I am a regular at Kia Tigers games in the Korean Baseball Organization, I feel a kinship to these players and vote for them. Even though there are only two Tigers on the squad. In fact I'd almost be tempted to vote for them if they played the Canadian team. Almost.

But not only that, pre-season baseball is getting under way here. I gotta say baseball is something Korea does right. Pre-season games are free. They're not very well publicized or anything but I have been wandering by the ball park now and then to check on things and asking guards if they knew anything. I was sure it was getting close to baseball time.

Last Sunday I was sick but just had to get out of the house. I wasn't sure a walk would do me any good since I think it might be something in the air that is contributing to this sinus cold I've had for a month, but I had cabin fever. So I got my red-palmed gloves and a stack of 500won coins and decided to walk to the batting cages. I smacked the ball around pretty good. Even sick I'm dangerous with a baseball bat. Then, since the ball park is just a little ways away from the batting cages I ventured over. It was 11 am when I got there. I asked the guard if there was pre-season baseball on March 28th because there were lots of ads about something happening on March 28th. He recognized me from another time I had asked about baseball. He said, "No, concert. Today baseball." I thought he was asking if I was asking. I said, "Yeah baseball. When is baseball?" He repeated, "Today baseball." I'm using Korean and he's using English. This happens a lot for some reason. And if I speak English they speak Korean. That happens too. Weird.

So I said, "TODAY? What time?" He told me 1PM. Since I have no real responsibilities in my life, (gloat gloat), I just went in. I watched infield drills, and batting practice for both teams. I was like the ONLY guy there. Sitting in the best seat in the house eating ramyun and an egg sandwich, coughing, sneezing, blowing my nose. It was AWESOME! A couple of the players know me. I can't remember which ones cuz I was drinking soju with the Tiger cheerleaders the night I was introduced. Lost my baseball glove that night too. (The one in the picture) And I just can't find an adult baseball glove anywhere in Gwangju. Anyway, Byun Sun Woong, one of the catchers, and I talked a bit before the game on Sunday. I think he was one who met me. I'm pulling for him to get more playing time this year.

Around about 12:30 people started arriving. At various times during the game I had people sitting beside me but almost nobody walking in front of me at all. A few of the Tigers Superfans came up to me and renewed our acquaintences. They asked if I wanted to go out after the game for soju but I refused due to my cold. There were no cheerleaders so it was just folks naturally calling out cheers for the Tigers. It was a rare game for me at which I didn't drink but the other fans were partaking so they got more boistrous as the game went along. I couldn't yell very well because of my cold and the atmosphere was so casual I found I didn't need to. I just clapped and whistled when Kia did good stuff.

Yang Hyun Jong looked really good pitching almost 5 innings and giving up only 2 hits. He gave up a run due to an error and a couple walks but had a solid pre-season outing. Then the dreaded Son Young Min came on in relief. It was 1-1. I thought for SURE he'd blow the lead like he had done so often last year. But he was pretty solid. And the Tigers scored 4 runs in the bottom of his first inning and ended up getting him the win. The final score was 5-2. It looks like maybe Kia's relief pitching has improved. That was by FAR their weakest point as a team last year. So this is a GREAT sign for the season.

Lee Jong Beom and Lee Hyun Gon got a couple hits each and looked like they were in mid-season form. So did Lee Che Ju. So the Lees were looking good.

Choi Hee Seop got a solid base hit and looked a bit better than last year but MAN he takes some ugly swings at the plate! And his fielding is below average.

There was a good looking shortstop named An Chi Hong who I hadn't seen before. He got a hit and made a few really nice defensive plays. So that's a big plus too.

All in all it was a great way to spend a Sunday! I think next weekend the Woori Heroes are in town Saturday and Sunday so I'll be at the ballpark rain or shine. Or snow. I think maybe I'll bring some beer this time too. Can't wait!

No comments: