Sunday, September 12, 2010

Football follies

I accomplished my stated goal last night and then some! I posted on facebook that I was going to watch football until the sun came up. And I did so. It's one of the odd charms life in Korea takes on after you've lived for a decade here as a starving sports fan able only to eat lima beans like ping pong, short track and archery, a turnip like World Cup Soccer every 4 years, broccoli like Korean basketball and volleyball and in the summer the mashed potatoes of the KBO, Korean Baseball Organization. It's nice to have some roast duck like live boxing or UFC every once in a while, but the pork, beef and chicken like baseball, hockey and football, you gotta work for. AND you have to watch the fruits, or meat of your labour between the hours of 2 AM and 9 or 10 AM.

I remember in the early years here I would try desperately not to see the scores of games until I was somehow able to find them online posted without the score, download them and watch them in "almost as good as live" conditions. But sometimes friends would blurt out the score, or who won, or say things that partially compromised the mystery like, "Oh you're really gonna like the game!" or "You're not gonna believe what happens in the third quarter." These failings and the fact that although I have no qualms about cheering while I'm completely alone watching a truly LIVE game, I felt strangely embarrassed to be talking, groaning, hooting and gesticulating at my monitor that was showing me old news. Embarrassed! Of myself! You know like when you wash a cucumber or utter the word "croissant." It's not a sexual self-questioning like if you got a broner watching Adrian Peterson's bulging biceps or Randy Moss's form-fitting white tights, more a challenging of your lifelong dedication to the purity and ideals of sport. Like when you find yourself watching synchronized swimming, figure skating or Japanese ladies wrestling and enjoying it.

So I had to try to find a website that was a dependable source for live streaming video of the real sports. I tried loads of sites where people share their lives and on Sundays or Mondays their lives happened to include football. Like Justintv. Well that site sucks, obviously. Then I tried some sites like myP2P from overseas where blackouts and other restrictions DIDN'T apply. Here you find Russian, German, Italian football fans who cleverly, however nefariously, upload their broadcasts, complete with highly entertaining, non-English commentary or English non-expert commentary. But there were an endless number of programs to download like veetle, ustream, streamtorrent, vexcast, sopcast etc. and drivers and updates FOR those programs that just clogged up the old computer. Plus, the NFL, a league where they are so pathetically short of money, saw to it that very soon the restrictions DID apply overseas as well and people had to pay for their product. That's like making Americans pay for soccer. But just so long as nobody got to watch the NFL for free I guess...

You ask, "Dave, why don't you just get NFL Fieldpass?" or whatever they're calling the internet subscription that allows you to watch every game on your computer. I WANT it really badly and the price is well worth it. There's a big, hairy but coming up... BUT, they won't let a person get it unless he/she has properly prostrated him/herself at the altar of our Blessed Lady of Acquisitiveness, chanted the international capitalist mantra: "I need it before I deserve it!", and got a credit card.

When I went to HSBC in Vancouver recently to open a new account they set me up a checking account that came with a shiny new credit card. Only upon checking, re-checking then giving his head a shake and TRIPLE checking, the teller, Ronald Zhang, told me I had no credit rating. He might as well have been telling me I had an arm growing out of my ass. All adding machines, bill counting, computer tapping and office noise came to an instant halt. A collective intake of breath from the bankers as well as the customers drained the building of oxygen. For about 5 seconds I FELT like a man with an arm growing out my ass! But then Ronald proceded to the part of his teller's manual, somewhere at the very bottom, where it said, "In the unlikey event of a customer who has no credit..." and he told me I couldn't get the credit card. He told me I couldn't even get the checking account! I had to start a savings account! His attitude toward me took a decided turn after that. It wasn't haughtiness or superiority because surely a man of my age and obvious intelligence could not exist without credit. And I had told him I was getting the account mostly because HSBC was the only bank that allowed easy money transfer from Asia. He probably thought I was a secret agent or something like that. And I didn't tell him I wasn't. Who knows?????

At any rate, I ended up watching at atdhe.net and using ustream. I was able to watch most of the games I chose. There were brief stoppages due to copyright infringements, sigh and eyeroll, but I had a good night. Not so good in my football pools though. All the guys I sat on the bench had GREAT nights and the guys I played were pretty average. Oh well, at least I got to see some football. How long it'll be before the NFL notices these games slipping through the cracks remains to be seen but hopefully I'll be able to see a few more games this season. If there's a sports fan out there reading this who has a dependable solution to my sports problems in Korea, please help!

No comments: