Saturday, February 27, 2010

Gold Canada Gold!

Wow! We aren't "owning the podium" but we DO seem to have put a lot of our athletes onto the TOP of it. 13 gold medals! That's amazing! And Team Canada might get another one tomorrow morning in hockey.

I'm watching cross country skiing right now and if I'm not mistaken there are two gals in this race named Sauronen and Schmiegel racing for that PRECIOUS ring of gold. I'm probably misunderstanding the names though. Not watching intently really. I'm just wating till noon when the Fins play the Slovaks for hockey bronze.

I always find this time of the Olympics weird. The winners of the bronze will no doubt be happy and jumping around for joy but the silver medalists will undoubtedly be depressed tomorrow. I'll be quite happy with the silver but MAN it'd be sweet to get the gold!

I guess it depends on Team Canada's play though. If they play well and lose I'll be happy. But if they self-destruct like the Canadian women did in curling, I will be pretty disappointed. I couldn't believe that when our girls went into the 10th end with a two point lead AND I think they had the hammer! Sweden stole two to get into the 11th end and then they stole one for the gold medal. That's just impossible odds! I remember thinking that the Swedes had only two rocks left, nothing in the house and they were down by two. And SOMEHOW they got both those rocks to score! Absolutely unbelievable!

BUT the Old Bear, Kevin Martin and the boys got the gold today so I'm pretty happy aboot that!

Things have worked out really well for me as far as watching these Olympics! I thought I was going to have to start teaching this week but I've only been doing administrative stuff and lesson planning so I've had lots of time to watch. The site I've been watching, MyP2P, has been solid throughout, until today. The NBC and Eurosport coverage I've been watching has been great. I've seen a bit of Danish, Russian and Italian coverage too. All excellent. The only problem I had was when this morning I tried to get into MyP2P and they asked me for a password. I joined and my password didn't work. Then I did an anti-spyware scan and was able to get in just in time to see Canada take the lead over Norway in the gold medal curling match never to look back. So that was lucky.

If ANYthing happens so that I am unable to watch the gold-medal hockey game tomorrow I'll be gutted! It's on at 5 in the morning here so it's not like I can go out to a bar to see it on TV.

However, I have to count my lucky stars that tomorrow, (Monday), is a holiday here in Korea so I won't be at work while the game of the century takes place.

I've heard that this is going to be the most watched hockey game EVER. I hope it's a good one. I expect the U.S. to come out guns a-blazing but I'm not sure whether Canada will give an effort like they did against the Russians or if they'll play the defensive style that almost lost them the game against the Slovaks. There's no question which style is more effective, it's just a matter of convincing all the hockey traditionalists who worship defence and always seem to make big games like this or Stanley Cup playoff games SUCK by forcing skilled players to play not to lose instead of playing to win. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to it BIG TIME. And since I lost a bet with Heather so I had to use the American flag as my facebook photo, (which I cheated on and changed for the Canada/Slovakia game), I am going to post the following pic and say one final time GO CANADA GO!

No comments: