Sunday, May 24, 2009

Joe Beom Hyun, HIT AND RUN!!!

Just got back from the game. Kia won 8-1! It was one of the better games I've been to. I wish I could watch the re-broadcast right now but my TV is now an expensive and not very comfortable ottoman. It was different for many reasons. VERY different! Let me splain.

First of all because of the death of Roh Moo Hyun there were no cheerleaders. I didn't know that was the case until I got to the game. That was strange.

Secondly I am so sick of baseball game chicken I stopped by Im Shil Pizza and got a pie to bring to the game. That difference was very nice!

Thirdly, because of the pizza and because I was late I had to take a taxi to the game. First time this year I didn't walk there.

Fourthly, I sat on the 3rd base side of the stadium because I was late for the game and that side fills up slower. NOT because there were no cheerleaders. (Cheerleaders are on the 1st base side). Also it gave me a good chance to get close to the 3rd base coach, who calls the signs for the batters and I could see into the dugout to see what the players and coach were doing. Maybe I'm dreaming but I just might have had an effect on the outcome tonight.

Let me set the scene. It was the 4th inning. Kia was ahead 3-0. The lead-off hitter got on. I just KNEW Jo was gonna call the bunt. So I was yelling and screaming and making X signs with my arms but they bunted anyway. It was a perfect sac bunt. But then the next hitter walked nullifying it. That usually happens. They managed to score a run in the inning but they left two guys on. Without bunting they would have had another at bat with two runners aboard. THAT is what you sacrifice when you sac. bunt. I was not happy with the one run.

Later in the 7th inning Kim Weon Seop is the lead-off hitter. He gets on. Next is Lee Jong Beom, a great contact hitter and one of the best players in the HISTORY of Korean baseball. Kim Weon Seop is the fastest guy on our team. Kia is up 4-1. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT hit and run opportunity. Lee Jong Beom squares around to bunt. I got NUTS! A couple people called me and told me I was on TV tonight. I'm hoping THIS is when. Luckily the bunt attempt was foul. Then it happened. Somehow, I don't know how, maybe they saw me on TV, maybe they heard me yelling or saw me doing bunt gestures and shaking my head or making a big X with my arms, or maybe someone else knocked some sense into the coaches, I don't know but on the next pitch Lee Jong Beom did NOT square around to bunt. A pitch or two later might be the most beautiful pitch I've ever seen here! Kim Weon Seop took off for second. The pitch was high. But Lee Jong Beom took a very ugly swing at it anyway. I get the feeling he hasn't done the hit and run a lot because it was an AWFUL swing! But it was a swing nonetheless. Hallelujiah, the HIT AND RUN!!! The ball was a perfect double play ball straight to the second baseman and instead of jumping over it Kim Weon Seop slowed down and let it pass in front of him but he was STILL safe at second. The throw to first was NOT IN TIME!!! YEEHAW!!! Nobody out and two guys on!

Next hitter gets a base hit. Run scored! Next hitter flies out but the runner on third scores! One out and two runs in. Next hitter got out but because there was no damn sacrifice we still had one more chance with two runners on. BAM! Two MORE runs scored! We got four runs in the inning and put the game out of reach at 8-1. So technically it turned out we didn't NEED those runs but I was high fiving total strangers while they were coming around.

I bash Jo Beom Hyun for NOT calling the hit and run and bunting too much so I better give him credit for NOT bunting and calling the hit and run. That was SWEET to watch. I hope I see it again! And I hope I had just a little to do with it although I really don't think I did.

However, one other time the starter, Guttormson, had loaded the based with only one out and the pitching coaches came out for the second time in the game and I was yelling in English and Korean for them NOT to take him out. I don't remember ever seeing them visit the mound for a second time without pulling the pitcher. But this time they DID. And Guttormson got the next two guys out! You can bet one of the relief pitchers would have allowed at least one of them to score.

Whether they did any of this even partially because of me is doubtful. But they played the game RIGHT today and look what happened! 8-1!

So I guess I'll hold off on becoming a Lotte Giants fan for a little while.

No comments: