Saturday, June 26, 2010

Ah, summer in Korea!

It looks like I won't have the choice of working back at Seokang where I work now. I've been told they won't be re-contracting me here. As I said I really doubted I'd be back even if they DID want to re-sign me because of the problems I have had. If you haven't been reading my blog, let me give you a very clear idea of what I mean. My supervisor, who I call Peter, (although his name is Na Ki Duk), was the one to tell me the bad/good news, in his own ultra Korean way, that they don't want me any more. Here's the message he TEXTED me: "Before next week's official notice I hope you have time to arrange your new place to work ASAP. Thank you for working with us for last two years. Good luck!"

First of all there was no official notice for anything. He is just doing what they have always tried, and failed, to do with me: treat me like a well-trained Korean who would fall for this shit. He's trying to make me think that there is some kind of official notice to force me out of my room in the dorm within a week or "ASAP," whichever comes first. So I text back, "What "official" notice are you talking about? I am under contract till the end of August." He texts back "I am in Philippines now. I will contact you on June 30 in Gwangju." So I text back, "And what new place of work? You are saying I gave you notice to quit without my knowledge?" He texts, "Right.We will not make a new contract with you. Sorry."

It's June 27th and I got that message four days ago. I suppose I am expected to clear outta here by the end of the month to make room for my replacement, no doubt a dirt cheap "teacher" from the Philippines. That's what they tried to do LAST time they got rid of me and THAT time it crashed and burned. Probly will again.

BUT they didn't want me going without having a little more fun with me before I left. Two days ago I stayed up late to watch stupid soccer. Two offensively talented teams, Portugal and Brazil, going at it so I thought it would be one game I could watch without falling asleep. Final score 0-0. Then the next morning after only a couple hours of sleep, I get woken up by jackhammering right outside my room. And it goes on and on and on all day long! They are taking out the tile floors of the bathroom and shower areas, right outside my door, and I suppose putting in new stuff. It's not just the jackhammering that would have been nice to have been warned of, it's the fact that they turned off the cold water. This means I can't shower, do laundry or flush my toilet. I still have water from the hot water side that is scorching hot when the hot water is on and cold when it's off. So I have to fill a big pot with water to pour into the can after I drop a deuce. It's Sunday today and Korea played, and lost, last night in World Cup so there are no workers here today. There is still no change in my water situation and I'm guessing tomorrow, early, the jackhammerers will be back and who knows when I'll have laundry and shower priveleges again?

I thought of typing, "But at least they haven't shut down my internet yet!" But that would be foolish wouldn't it? If this entry has an abrupt ending, it's Murphy, or his Korean equivalent, "Muppy", at it again.

Other job prospects have been pursued. This past week was stated as interview week for Yeungnam University. I was notified by them that I would be given my interview time and place during the week. I waited all week and received nothing. This may appear disheartening but it's nothing out of the ordinary around here. They are most likely waiting for a guy with 16 Doctorate degrees to decide he hasn't been getting enough kimchi in his diet and that his students somewhere back in the educational first world, are too responsive to proper teaching methodology to pose any kind of professional challenge to him. Sometime around the end of August when places like Yeungnam realize that this guy doesn't exist and decide to settle for far superior teachers with less wall paper, I'll get another notification from them telling me how things were very hectic in June and they appologize for losing touch.

My REAL hope is for a job I've applied for at Gwangju Institute of Science and Tech. GIST. That's where I did the winter camp this past January. One of the guys I worked with at the camp, Andy, is the only teacher in their new freshman English program. They are looking for another to work with him. Since I've already met my prospective supervisors, co-worker, and students, AND LIKED THEM, I think this would be a great job for me. Here's hoping they aren't holding out for Doctor 16!

I will be called for interview/teaching sample sometime starting July 8th. If I get the job I'll be notified by July 23rd. That'll be enough time for me to move my junk and still make it home to Canada for my 25th grad reunion on July 30th. If I don't get the GIST job, and haven't found something else as a back-up plan, I think I just might pack everything up and ship it home. I really think I need a couple more years here in Korea before I have enough money saved to move home for good but I may not have that, cough cough, luxury.

And speaking of luxury, I think I'll find a cheap hotel for the night so I can have a shower and a shit. Maybe find a laundromat too. Ah, Korea in the summer time!

No comments: