Friday, May 07, 2010

Another Dave's Top Ten

Last few entries I've been Mr. Buzzkill. Time to accentuate the positive a little bit. So here we go with ten things that are going pretty good for me right now. They're really not in order so pay no attention to the numbers.

10. I just poured myself a glass of Crown Royal and Coke. It's nice to have a taste of Canada now and then. It's hard to find Crown Royal in these here parts but I got some last time I visited Scott and Minju and I think I'll pick up another bottle when I visit them next time.

9. That'll probably be the Buddha/Alex Birthday weekend. Buddha's Birthday is Friday the 21st and Alex's birthday is Sunday the 23rd. And I'm looking forward to a beer and wing night at Bacon And Eggs, (Scott and Minju - proprietors). And maybe we can go the whole day without checking the hockey scores and watch the games that were played at 8 in the morning that day. Do a mini hockey pool for the game. That'll really be cool! Especially if the Canucks are still in the playoffs by then.

8. Speaking of the Canucks, they have about the strongest team they've had the whole time I've been in Korea and THIS is the first year I've really been able to watch them. I wake up every morning to watch the NHL playoffs. Or, (like today), am woken up by some guy smoking outside my window who hears me snoring and hammers on my window to wake me up. Heh heh. That sounds negative doesn't it? Well it was nice of him to show concern for the health of my throat and vocal chords. Who knows, maybe I stopped breathing and he was waking me up to save my life. It's a possibility. And the nice thing was, I would have been awakened by the smell of his cigarette anyway so being shocked awake and bolting upright in my bed was only slightly less pleasant. Uh, he DID wake me up at 8 AM, right when the games started. So I had that goin for me. Anyhoo, haven't missed many games yet. And when I have to work or something, I just watch the game from the archive. It's nice to have NHL Gamecenter!

7. I can also do that with the Blue Jays this year! I haven't watched many games yet because hockey is more important but once hockey's done I got MLBTV from the Jacksons for my birthday so I can watch a LOT of baseball. It's in the mornings too but if I have enough bandwidth I can watch the archived games.

6. I downloaded a spyware killing program today that seems to have gotten rid of a lot of the bugs that were slowing my computer down. Now with the little bandwidth I have I may be able to watch baseball games again.

5. If not, the semester is hastening to a close. I looked at my calendar today and realized because of Seokang sports week this week and its anniversary May 20th, I only teach the Thursday classes 3 more times! And the one class will be notebook/homework check and giving a review, (telling them the answers), for the test. That means I'm really only going to have to teach them 2 1/2 more lessons! YEEHAW! And when all the students are gone from the dorms I get more bandwidth! So I can watch baseball in HD!

4. The Kia Tigers are on a hot streak! They've won 5 in a row now and if they keep playing like they're playing they'll soon catch up to the Bears and Wyverns at the top. What they're doing is exactly what I've been writing about in my OTHER blog devoted to the Kia Tigers. Running more, stealing more, swinging away, NOT sac-bunting, even the hit-and-run! I was at a game recently with Amber, (my Aussie friend who is really catching the baseball bug here), and the Tigers hit and ran a FEW times! They kicked ass that night too! Scored in almost every inning. That's the way I'd coach this team all the time. I think maybe the coach is reading my blog and now he's gonna take credit for all my baseball wisdom and the way it's paying off. But I don't care. He can have that in exchange for me slaggin' his ass all the time. Heh heh.

3. Summer is still not here. I haven't used my air conditioner yet and have only been visited by a couple moths, ONE mosquito and a hornet. How can I hope to keep mosquitoes out of my room if HORNETS are getting in? I wish I knew how they're getting in here! I'm not gonna jinx things by actually saying that as yet there are no blabbety blabbety blah, but it's unusually late in the year for them to show up.

2. I'll probably be going back to Canada in August for a visit. I still need a year or two more here before I can return for good. I reckon. But I'm hoping to get my banking and storage situations straightened out. That'll be two loads off my mind. And it'll be great to visit friends and family! And to see the "old country." Ha ha. Looking forward to it.

1. I have been a good boy this year. Even with the Canada holiday this will probably be my best year in Korea yet. I've avoided Seoul; tried to save as much as I could; I've kind of hibernated in my room a bit; didn't make any big purchases like a move or a fridge or new golf clubs; and I got lucky with a great winter camp. I'm hoping to find one or two camps this summer to make this year a beauty financially. World financial crisis - shmorld shminancial shmrisis! I'm recession proof!

There. A positive post. Didn't think I could do it, didja?

2 comments:

Rose-tinted glasses said...

Just who is this person who hacked into Dave's computer and put up a blog entry that doesn't knock Korea?

Who is it?!?!?!

Dave MacCannell said...

Hah! And I'm not even on holidays! That's usually the only time I'm not knocking Korea. Maybe I've just given up on the place.