Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I'm a somebody!!!

I feel like The Jerk. Remember that Steve Martin movie? I loved it. A classic! Remember the part after he's worked at the gas station for a while and the new phone books come in? So he's all excited and he finds his name in one of them and he says, "I'm a SOMEBODY!" Well that's similar to how I felt just a couple days ago when I saw the most recent edition of the Gwangju News magazine. Not one but TWO pages for my story and pics. PageS 34 and 35. And if the ambassador from Nepal wasn't in town this month, I probly woulda made the cover. I'm pretty sure I gave old Kamal Prasad Koirala a good run for the top story. But politics beats out sport in journalism. A travesty if you ask me!

So here it is: If you want to read it you can click on it and I think it'll be big enough. See if YOU don't think it's an issue more vital to the human race than countries moving from monarchies to democratic states, terrorism, Maoist election victories and such. Yeah, I didn't think so either. Come on! They don't even have a rectangular flag in Nepal yet! The GIC, who publish the Gwangju News, took the ambassador from Nepal for a hike up Moodeung Mountain. Hello? Nepal! That's just a little hill to him! He probably thought they were taking him to fetch a pail of water. Somebody shoulda taken Mr. Koirala to Moodeung STADIUM to see a Tigers game. THEN he'd witness some REAL news being made!
Actually his article was pretty interesting I guess. And I am sure his stories of conflict in Nepal are compelling but the Kia Tigers have had two bench-clearing brawls in a month! That's unprecedented in the KBO! And, yes, Lumbini in Nepal may be the birthplace of Buddha but Gwangju is the birthplace of Lee Jong Beom!
I noticed the ambassador was pretty slick calling the Gwangju News an excellent resource for the international community and stating that there is no other magazine like it in Korea. How could I compete with that? No wonder he got top billing! I didn't have ANYTHING like that in my story. Politicians eh?

No comments: