Friday, March 14, 2008

Mokpo University

For my 100th post I figured I'd introduce you all to my new school. I'm now working at Mokpo National University way down at the bottom of the country. I just finished my second week of work and so far it's been pretty nice. If you ever read my blog you'll know that "nice" has little to do with money. In fact I'm working longer hours for less money. 22 hours a week as compared to the 18 and 12 I worked the last two years respectively. Also I'm teaching four courses instead of one. Using 4 different textbooks means I have quadruple the lesson planning to do since last year and the year before I used only one text for all my classes. I will also be teaching kids. And I get 6 weeks vacation this year compared to 5 months. So how in the name of Frick can I like this better than my previous jobs? A few reasons: I haven't been scammed, (yet); the people I'm working with, including the Koreans, are sociable and nice, (so far); and I have a really great place where I can bake food in my oven, take a bath in my tub, get hot water at any time of the day, store a ton of stuff in my huge fridge, have guests stay in my spare room if they want, grow some tomatoes out on one of the two lanais if I want, and have a party where people can actually sit in my living room on my couch!

It's amazing how much of a difference things like that make to me. Really amazing! Take a look at the crappy schedule I have and you will see what I mean.
I'm waking up before 6 am every day to catch the bus that gets me to work by 8. Then if I don't want to sit at school jerkin the gherkin during the long breaks I take a bus home and back again for the 6:30 class. The bus takes only about 20 minutes from the school to the bus stop BUT I have already waited for the bus for well over 20 minutes on several occasions. It's a lot of wasted time, I'll put it that way. So I really see no choice but to get a vehicle. The problem with that is my Canadian licence expired a couple years ago. I now have to take a test here in Korea. I'm not really sure where I guy can do that. Hopefully I'll find out soon.

Then I gotta decide what kind of vehicle to go with. I don't need a licence to ride a scooter and they're only 3 million won, (3 grand), brand new. But a scooter? It is okay to do things a bit on the gay side here but I think I'll go with the more heterosexual motorized bike. For that I'll need a licence. Well, truth be told I rode my bike for 2 years in Seoul without licencing it. But every time I was stopped by a cop I showed him my Canadian driver's licence and the shape of my eyes and I was waved onward. I had to fake like I didn't understand what I was being told a few times but I got by.

I am going to try to do it all legal like this time. But I swear here and now if it's as much hassle as the work visa is every damn year, screw it, I'll pay the ticket for riding without a licence if I ever get caught.
I swore I'd never drive a car in this country but I am thinking that might be the way to go. And I'll really have to get a licence then. I'll blog more about that story as events warrant.

I went hiking with Sam and David Morris during one of my long, long, long breaks last Thursday. First I need to clarify that there are 3 male teachers at Mokpo U. right now, all named David. Sam is a chick. She's the one on the left. Ar ar.
We went up into the mountains that surround the university. The pic below is of a graveyard nearby. You see the parking lot? To the left is the building where we work. Brand new. Nice too. Also a benefit to this place.










The pic of Sam and Morris drinking water was a little after the graveyard. I'd say an hour into the hike. I was starting to worry a little about just how far we were getting away from the university. I had planned on doing a little hike and then going back into Mokpo city to do some things. I slowly saw those plans go by the wayside. But it was okay. We sat down at this site where there were benches and a gazebo and ate some kimbap. I brought cheese and crackers that we shared too. It was the best part of the trip I thought. But rather than turn around and go back the way we came, we pressed on.
The university got farther






and farther
away.
It wasn't a stormy day, that mist is just Chinese sand. Sam said her contacts felt a bit fuzzy from it. I'm sure it did none of us any good to be breathing it in either. But whatever doesn't kill us just makes us stronger, right?
I was lucky to be hiking with two so well traveled individuals and they regaled me with stories of world travel. David talked of his adventures in Italy and turning down a job offer in Tuscany because the woman he loved couldn't get a visa and join him. They're now married. Angie works at Mokpo U. too.
Sam talked about backpacking around Europe too and rooming on the cheap. David and her exchanged scary hostel stories. I had nothin'. Never been to Europe.
Then Sam talked of visiting her ancestors in India and seeing how some of the folks there lived with no phone no lights no motorcars not a single luxury. Like Robinson Ca rusoe as primitive as can be.
I gotta say I felt a bit like Bilbo Baggins leaving behind the comfort of the Shire and reluctantly leaving a warm bed, oven, tub, big fridge etc. and knowing that every step left them farther behind. But as Sam(wise) and Morris (the grey) talked of their journeys the old muscles started getting used to the strain. And even though I envied them for having been to so many places I'd never been, (and for having virtually bone dry and saltless clothing relative to mine), before I was able to develop a healthy grudge, we were back at the school.
The building on the far right is ours. So the knees felt a bit arthritic for the rest of the day, but I was okay for classes Friday. In fact I felt a lot better than expected. After classes I walked quite a ways to Lotte Mart and bought two bags of groceries, which I lugged home. So I'm getting some exercise here in Mokpo. That's good. But so far the best thing has been the people.
I've already had a little wine and cheese mixer at my house. I invited another co-worker, (and the gal responsible for recommending me), Joan over for some lasagna one night. And the teachers have met together on a couple other occasions. Already more socializing than the past two years combined. I'm liking that. And I'm close to my Gwangju friends too! I went out for beer at the German brew pub with Kasia, Min Ha and a couple of Kasia's friends. It was really great beer there! I wanna go drink more soon. Since it was a pub I met quite a few people and had a pretty good time. I even ran into one of MY friends there. And this weekend I'm going to Gwangju again to watch my first, (of many), Kia Tigers game of the year! It's an exhibition so it's free. I'm stoked about that! Exhibitions are better. No concessions, no crowds, no endless chanting and cheering, B.Y.O.B., just baseball for baseball's sake. I'll probly post some pics of that in entry number 101. See you then.

No comments: