Thursday, January 10, 2008

Farewell to HUFS

Back in my creative writing "salad days" I was told that sometimes when you write something that seems outstanding the best thing you can do is put it in a drawer and leave it for a month, then look at it later. If it still looks good, then it's good. But sometimes it doesn't look so good.

It's pretty hard to work in Korea as an ESL teacher and put up with all the requisite crap without finding some sort of therapeutic activity to get rid of the frustration that builds up. I travel. That helps. A lot! I drink. That helps. A little. Another vehicle I have found very useful to vent my aggression is this blog.

I do admit to applying a bit of hyperbole, overstatement, speculation, opinion, exaggeration, and strong words with the intent to ease my frustration while at the same time making my blog a bit more interesting. Most of my entries are entirely factual but occasionally I'll put one in that is "based on actual fact". I find it's helpful to my personal sanity in Korea to clearly define the bad guys and flame the shit outta them.

Although this past year at HUFS was by no means my favourite year of teaching, it wasn't as bad as I made it sound. Hey, there ARE some positive posts about HUFS too! But as I said in my blog, toward the end I was getting really negative. Looking back at my posts about HUFS, yeah, maybe I shoulda put some of them in the old drawer for a month. But I sometimes blog in the heat of the moment to get my thoughts out. I do it all with the assumption that 5-10 people tops are reading my blog. So I saw much more chance for help than harm.

However, I sincerely apologize to anyone I may have hurt who didn't deserve it. And good luck to all my co-workers in their future endeavors.

No comments: